For over forty years, our company has been dedicated to bringing our customers the absolute best in fine wood surfaces, tools and accessories for the craft and hobby industry.
Walnut Hollow® began as a small family-owned business in Dodgeville, WI. One day, Walnut Hollow founder, Dave Ladd, had an idea after watching his wife, Nancy, create unique decoupage projects from crosscut pieces of wood taken from the family tree farm. This idea led Mr. Ladd to develop our very first product line, Walnut Country Rounds (which he debuted at the 1972 Hobby Industry of America show in Chicago, IL). Although unable to actually attend the show, he enticed prospective customers with Wisconsin cheese and crackers outside of the convention center. Soon, Mr. Ladd found himself with Walnut Hollow’s first hit product. And this was before he had any manufacturing capabilities! But thanks to significant community support, Mr. Ladd and Walnut Hollow were able to meet demand.
Since then, our product line has grown to include more and more natural wood surfaces, panels and plaques for arts and crafts. One of those surfaces is the Basswood Country Round®, which is the successor to the original Walnut Country Round. Also, thanks to Mr. Ladd’s son Scott and his interest and talent in wood burning, our company has become renowned for its extensive line of wood burning tools and accessories. Wood burning (or pyrography) has become an important aspect of our business.
In addition to wood surfaces and wood burning, Walnut Hollow has developed products for many woodworking hobbies including clock making, woodcarving and unfinished home décor items such as boxes, shelves and signboards. We have even expanded into other craft areas such as decorative metal and clay, but our emphasis has always been to bring the best possible quality products to art and craft hobbyists.
Our products can now be found in major craft chains, independent retail stores, Internet stores, catalogs, art stores, hobby shops and hardware stores throughout the United States, Canada and other foreign countries not to mention right here at walnuthollow.com.
Although Dave and Nancy have since retired, company ownership still remains within the family. Dave and Nancy's children, Sandy and Chris, are the current President and Chief Financial Officer respectively.
Below you can find a list of some of the features and benefits that make Walnut Hollow wood surfaces, tools and accessories a cut above the rest. You can be ensured that crafts created with Walnut Hollow products today will become cherished heirlooms tomorrow.
Walnut Hollow wood products are kiln-dried to a 6-10% moisture content.
Walnut Hollow uses high-tech computer-aided equipment to ensure each product has accurate dimensions and consistent quality.
Walnut Hollow wood surfaces are finely sanded and require minimal preparation.
Walnut Hollow uses furniture-grade wood.
Walnut Hollow is committed to protecting our environment and replenishing our natural resources.
Wood products won't warp or crack.
Most orders shipped within 5 business days.
Minimal sanding necessary.
Quality wood with few knots and discoloration.
Experience and commitment.
Awards and Honors:
· 2007 Conservationist Lifetime Achievement Award presented to Dave Ladd by Gathering Waters Conservancy.
· 2007 Winner in Craftrends® Award of Creative Excellence (ACE) for Designed for Her™ Tools Program in the Innovations Category. This category is considered the top ACE Award.
· Since the inception of Walnut Hollow in 1972, the company’s owners and employees have been strongly committed to preserving natural resources through its raw materials consumption practices, production processes, recycling activities, and community involvement. In 2006, the Company received the John Brogan Award, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources highest form of environmental recognition. John E. Brogan, former member and chair of the Natural Resources Board, initiated the award in 1982. Walnut Hollow shares this prestigious accomplishment with respected organizations including Trout Unlimited (Wisconsin Chapter), Snap-On Tools Corporation, Green Bay Packaging, 3M Menomonie, and John Deere Horicon Works.
· CHA (Craft & Hobby Association) Innovations Award 2004: for the Creative HotMarks and Creative Versa-Tool®.
· HIA Lifetime Member Award 2002: Presented to David A. Ladd by the Hobby Industry Association of America (HIA) for his commitment to the association and the industry.
· Commitment to Safety Excellence Award 2000 - 2001: Presented by EBI Companies to the employees and management of Walnut Hollow for achieving a zero accident workplace culture.
· Business of the Year Award 2000: Presented to Walnut Hollow® by Southwest Opportunities Center, Inc.
· Scott Ladd Memorial Award 1994: Presented by the Association of Crafts and Creative Industries (ACCI) for 15 years of loyal participation in promoting creative crafts in the industry.
· EBI Companies Award 1992 - 1993, 1994 - 1995, 1996 - 1997: Presented for continued outstanding performance in workplace safety and early return to work programs.
· HIA President's Award 1989: Presented by the Hobby Industry Association of America (HIA) for outstanding dedicated service to the industry and association.
· Wisconsin Small Business Person of the Year Award 1988: Presented to David A. Ladd by the U.S. Small Business Administration.
· National Small Business Person of the Year Award 1988: Second runner up behind Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. Presented to David A. Ladd by the U.S. Small Business Administration.
· Since the inception of Walnut Hollow in 1972, the company’s owners and employees have been strongly committed to preserving natural resources through its raw materials consumption practices, production processes, recycling activities, and community involvement. In 2007 Dave Ladd was named the 2007 Conservationist Lifetime Achievement Award winner by Gathering Waters Conservancy for his dedication to environmental sustainability in business as well as decades of untiring land stewardship in his native Iowa County and across the state. In 2006, the Company received the John Brogan Award, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources highest form of environmental recognition. John E. Brogan, former member and chair of the Natural Resources Board, initiated the award in 1982. Walnut Hollow shares this prestigious accomplishment with respected organizations including Trout Unlimited (Wisconsin Chapter), Snap-On Tools Corporation, Green Bay Packaging, 3M Menomonie, and John Deere Horicon Works.
· The Ladd's (owners and founders of Walnut Hollow) have planted more than 300,000 trees and shrubs on personal property in the surrounding area.
· Whenever possible, raw material is harvested from plantation and managed woodlands for the manufacture of our home décor items and wood surfaces.
· Our manufacturing process is state-of-the-art lean manufacturing which allows for a minimum of waste and an increase in operating efficiencies. Wood waste and sawdust are recycled and sold as livestock bedding. No wood waste ends up in landfills.
· Walnut Hollow has a unique sawdust recovering system whereby sawdust and chips from the manufacturing process are vacuumed at each work station to a central silo storage system. As a result, the manufacturing operation is not detrimental to the health of our employees or the environment.
· Shipping cartons are made from 50% recycled fiber and all packing material is biodegradable (cornstarch peanuts).
· Employees of the company participate in the State of Wisconsin’s Adopt-A-Highway Program. Each spring, company volunteers pick up litter along the designated Walnut Hollow highway section.
· David Ladd has served on three Land Stewardship Councils formed by Tommy Thompson (former Governor of the State of Wisconsin) for the purchase of natural resource and recreational lands. Mr. Ladd has also served on the Board of Directors of Wisconsin’s Natural Resource Foundation, the Wisconsin Conservation Congress, and Wisconsin Woodland Owners Association.
· David Ladd was instrumental in starting / financing Tree City USA for the City of Dodgeville, Wisconsin. In addition, he has received distinguished service awards from the Wisconsin Urban Forestry Council and the Soil and Water Conservation Society.
· Walnut Hollow supports and contributes to important conservation organizations such as Trees for Tomorrow, the National Arbor Day Foundation, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, Whitetails Unlimited, and Trout Unlimited.
· The company partners with Alliant Energy on shared savings programs that help to conserve energy. Grants have also been received from Wisconsin Focus on Energy for energy saving programs adopted by the company.